Expression of Invitation





Do you want to / wanna (very informal)Would you like to
Will you . . . (with me)
How about V+ing

How would you like to
I was wondering if you would (like to)
I would like to invite you to (more formal)


Making in vitiation
•         Would you like to…?
•         I would very happy if…?
•         We would be delighted if you…?
•         Would you care to..?
•         We would be pleased if you could…?
•         Would you care to…?

Accepting invitation
•         That’s very kind of you
•         We’d like very much to….
•         What a delightful idea
•         With the greatest pleasure
•         Thank you very much for inviting me
•         It’s delightful to….

Declining invitation
•         I’m very sorry, I don’t
•         Think I can.
•         I’d like to, but ….
•         I’m afraid I’ve
•         Already promised….
•         Thank you for asking me, but ….
•         Unfortunately  , I can’t….

Expression to make, accept or decline in informal situation

Making invitation
•         Why don’t you come to…
•         Like to come to …
•         Come and …
•         Shall we come to …
•         You must come to …

Accepting invitation
•         I would/will …
•         That would be very nice
•         OK,I will be there !
•         I’d like love to come.
•         All right.
•         Sure, I am coming

Declining invitation
•         Sort, I can’t.
•         I’d love to, but …
•         I don’t think I can.
•         In wish I could, but …
•         Sorry, I am very busy
•         Sorry, may be next time
•         Thank you, but I can’t
•         Sorry, I don’t think I
•         Can’t make it
•         I’m so sorry I can make it


Dialog Examples:

Dialog 1

Ludi Invites Maya to go to a Movie

Ludi  :  Hi, Maya. There will be a great film tonight. It’s about vampire.

Would you like to go to the movie with me?

Maya  : Yes, I’d like tonvery much. When will you pick me up?

Ludi   :  I’ll pick you at 7.00. Be ready, OK!

Maya   : Alright.



Dialog 2

Afif is very busy doing his homework. Sheila, his friend, asks him to come to her party.

Sheila   :  Heloo, this is Sheila. May I speak to Afif?

Afif       :  This is Afif speaking.

Sheila  :  Oh, hi Afif. I wonder if you’d like to come to my house right now.

We’re having a great party.

Afif      :  I don’t think I can. I’m doing my homework. My parents won’t

let me out before I finish my homework.

Sheila  :  That’s alright.

Afif      :  I hope you enjoy your party. Bye.

Sheila  :  Bye.


Conversation practice
When inviting someone to do something with you,
it is polite to "break the ice" before extending the invitation.
For example,
Will you go dancing with me on Friday? (too abrupt by itself)
(Give the other person time to "prepare" for your invitation.)
Do you have time on Friday?
Yes, I do. Why do you ask?
There's a dance at the Grand Ballroom.
Would you like to go with me?
Sure! I'd love to.
Role play the following situations with a partner.
Include details and give a variety of responses.
1. Invite your partner to go fishing this weekend.
2. Invite your partner to your home for dinner.
3. Invite your partner to see the circus.
4. Invite your partner to attend your violin concert.
5. Invite your partner to attend a political rally.
6. Invite your partner to your child's performance.
7. Invite your partner to your son's graduation party.

Comments